Hello lovely! Next up on our list of healthy lifestyle routines is Meal Prep! Do you meal prep? Have you made it a priority? Do you have no idea what I am talking about?
Meal prep means planning out at least some of your meals for the next few days or even better the week ahead. This is an amazing routine to get into to keep you on track for eating healthy! It can be so hard to healthy when you are busy or even when you aren't lol. It takes effort and it's definitely easier to grab a bag of pretzels than it is to cook up something. So making things ahead of time and doing as much work as you can up front will really help on days you are busy, or just feeling lazy!
Meal Prep How To:
- Look at your calendar and figure out how many meals you'll be needing. Note what days will be really busy (most important days to prep for) and what days you have plans or will be eating out.
- Make a grocery list. Look up any recipes you may want to make and make your list from there. Going to the grocery store with a list will keep you from wandering around and buying whatever catches your eye.
- Pick a day to grocery shop. Maybe its every Sunday. Maybe its 2x a week. Figure out what works best for your schedule and try to stick to it.
- Decide on your meal prep day. This is often the same day as you shop but could be the day after.
- Take 1-2 hours to make ahead what you can. What can be cooked or chopped ahead of time. You want to do what you can to make the rest of the week run smoothly. Here are some ideas:
- Chop all the veggies you need for your crockpot meal and put them in a ziplock bag in the fridge.
- Marinate meat you'll cook in a day or 2.
- Cook up some chicken, beans, quinoa, rice etc that you'll use throughout the week.
- Make a big pot of soup. Freeze half and put the rest in the fridge.
- Make a big batch of granola for breakfast or snacks.
- Make jar salads, like here and here, for your work lunch
- Hard boil eggs
- Cut up fruit and veggies for snacking
- Make baggies of nuts and seeds for snacking
Something I love to do is to make a weekly recipe board on Pinterest! This keeps everything in one place and is an easy reference.