Healthy Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Cooler temps and holidays have everyone bundling up, sitting by the fire and taking part in family traditions.
Hot cocoa is a favorite of mine this time of year and the combo of peppermint and chocolate is my absolute favorite! To make sure I can indulge in one of my favorite traditions without having to worry about excess fat and sugars I love to make my own hot chocolate using just a few simple, but good quality ingredients.
Rather than the traditional heavy milk I use almond milk. I replace cocoa for 100% cacao, which is high in antioxidants and magnesium. Since cacao can be a tad bitter I add some raw honey for sweetness and another antioxidant and anti-inflammtory boost. Lastly, I finish it off with 1 drop of peppermint essential oil for that awesome chocolate mint combo!
My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
So I mention above you must be careful when selecting an essential oil brand! Not all are equal and just because it says pure or organic at Whole Foods does not mean it is high quality. I spent a lot of time researching EO companies and now only put my trust in one! Click here for more information!
- 2 cups Almond Milk
- 2 tbsp Cacao Powder
- 1 tbsp Raw Honey
- 1 drop Peppermint Essential Oil
- Warm almond milk over medium heat
- Remove just as it starts to boil
- Stir in cacao
- Add 1 drop of peppermint essential oil to raw honey and stir to combine
- Add honey/oil mixture to milk/cacao mixture and stir until fully melted
- Serve hot
- Important: Not all essential oils are made equal and not all should be ingested. Only ingest essential oils that are labeled for internal use. Do your research and only buy from a reputable company!